|Rank||Back Brace||Model Name||Brand|
|1||Back Brace with Ice Packs|
Best Back Brace
|Old Bones Therapy|
|2||Lumbar Support Back Brace|
|3||Plus Size Back Brace|
Best for Big & Tall
|4||Back Brace Posture Corrector|
Best for Posture
|5||Stabilizing Lumbar Support Belt|
Best for Lower Back Pain
|6||Reinforced Lower Back Brace|
Best for Sciatica
|7||Back Brace Support Belt|
Best for Degenerative Disc Disease
|8||CM-102M Premium Back Brace|
Best for Pain Relief
|9||Comfort Posture Corrector|
Best for Scoliosis
|10||Back Brace Lumbar Support|
Best for Heavy Lifting
|11||Stabilizing Lower Back Brace|
Best for Work
Back braces are devices used to help relieve upper, middle, and lower back pain and promote healthier posture patterns.
This guide features; why to use a back brace, types of back braces, and reviews the best back braces of 2019 – based on extensive testing and customer reviews.
- 1 Best Back Brace
- 1.1 Best Back Brace: Old Bones Therapy (with Ice Packs)
- 1.2 Best Budget: Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace
- 1.3 Best for Big & Tall: BraceAbility Plus Size Back Brace
- 1.4 Best for Posture: Flexguard Support Back Brace
- 1.5 Best for Lower Back Pain: BraceUP Stabilizing Lumbar Support Belt
- 1.6 Best for Sciatica: Vive Lower Back Brace
- 1.7 Best for Degenerative Disc Disease: AidBrace Back Brace Support Belt
- 1.8 Best for Pain Relief: ComfyMed Premium Back Brace
- 1.9 Best for Scoliosis: TOROS-GROUP Comfort Posture Corrector
- 1.10 Best for Heavy Lifting: Trademark Supplies Lumbar Support
- 1.11 Best for Work: Holisouse Stabilizing Lower Back Brace
- 2 Why You Might Need a Back Brace
- 3 The Four Types of Back Braces
- 4 Final Thoughts on Back Braces
Best Back Brace
We have curated this list based on testing various back braces, user reviews, and market research.
The first back brace on our list is the Old Bones Therapy back brace that comes with ice packs. Its ergonomic design makes it the ultimate back brace for both women and men. It includes lower back support that’s been chiropractor-approved, so you know that it’s going to be effective.
The manufacturing of this back brace also makes sure that you get the best of comfort, breathability, and insulation as well. This is because it’s made of a material that breathes easily while keeping away sweat and moisture.
As you can tell by the name, there is on feature this back brace has that makes it stand out from the rest. This is the ice pack insulation feature that lets you place ice backs against the affected area for long periods of time while still letting the brace itself breathe.
When considering the right back brace for your back support, you’re going to want to pick something that comes with a perfect fit while remaining comfortable for the time that you’re using it. The bonus here is that Old Bones Therapy combines lower back support with ice therapy, making it the kind of back brace to win points for being innovative and original.
The Mueller Lumbar Support Back Brace is at the top of this list because it is the most popular back brace available on the market.
The 40% polyester, 27% rubber, and 33% nylon construction make it easy to wear and comfortable.
- It is available in two sizes (28-50” and 50-70” waist sizes).
- It can easily be custom fitted using the dual, outer elastic tension straps.
- The steel frame supports the spine for stability.
- It has a double-layer design to allow for adjustable compression.
- It is made from molded plastic on the inside to maintain brace rigidity and firmness.
For maximum support and for those who have suffered with a sprain, strain, or muscle spasms, the Mueller 255 Lumbar Support Back Brace is a perfect fit.
Coming in third on our list of the best back braces is the BraceAbility Plus Size Back Brace. One of the reasons why we love this back brace so much is because it is suited for taller & larger people. It’s not easy finding a lower back brace that’s going to fit comfortably and provide you with the support that you need. BraceAbility is able to give you what you need in a back brace, even if you are taller than average.
As you can imagine, the BraceAbility back brace is also easily adjustable so you can get the measurements just right. The double pull tension straps allow for additional compression, and the aluminium stays mean that the brace conforms nicely to your body for the ultimate in comfort.
The medical grade elastic means that even if you like to wear your back brace snug, it’s still going to be comfortable. The light yet firm compression it provides can give you real relief from middle and lower back pain.
The BraceAbility comes with plenty of material, so it can fit snugly around your waist without being too stiff and uncomfortable. It’s ideal after bariatric surgery, or for overweight, plus size, obese, and tall people.
The Flexguard Support Back Brace is a fully adjustable support brace for lumbar support, posture support, and lower/upper back pain.
- It is available in four sizes (XS-20-24”, S/M-24-30”, L-30-55”, and XL-34-40”)
- It has a comfortable, yet durable design.
- Its design gently pulls your shoulders back into a natural position to help straighten your back.
- It promotes good posture and helps to train your back.
If you’re looking for the best back brace for posture; then this kit is ideal for helping to correct that.
Since this posture corrector is a complete brace, it may be a little less comfortable than standard braces, but that is what makes it effective for posture correction.
Not only is the Back Brace Posture Corrector built to promote healthy posture, but it also comes with a posture guide that will help you use specific movements to train your back for improved posture.
The BraceUP Stabilizing Lumbar Support Belt is almost as popular as the Mueller, but is somewhat slimmer and easier to wear. We found in reviews that it’s a favorite amongst people with herniated discs & spinal stenosis.
- It is available in three sizes (S/M- 28-35”, L/XL- 35-43”, and XXL- 43-53”).
- It allows full range of movement and is comfortable.
- The mesh panels make it breathable.
- It has a design that minimizes bunching and slipping.
- There are two adjustable straps for customizing the fit and for compression.
It is designed to support your lower back region without restricting your movement and the curvier design reduces slipping or bunching.
You get a 100% money back guarantee from the manufacturer within one month of purchasing, which sweetens the deal on the BraceUP Stabilizing Lumbar Support Belt.
The sixth back brace on our list is the Vive Lower back brace. This back brace has been made with patients who suffer from sciatica and chronic pain in mind. The Vive back brace provides specific, targeted support for your lower back issues, and can help with a number of different medical conditions, from scoliosis to herniated disks and even degenerative disk disease.
The lumbar pad is not only ergonomically designed, but it’s also removable so that you can choose your own level of comfortability. Gentle compression therapy retains heat naturally and reduces the risk of further injury, so it’s an excellent option to prevent further issues as well.
The Vive lower back brace is lightweight and breathable, so it won’t feel like you’re carrying too much extra weight and bulk around. The material it is made from is non-slip and will not irritate your skin, even if it’s extra sensitive. The dual fasteners allow you to easily adjust the level of compression so that you can make it work for your needs.
What’s more, Vive has a sixty-day money back guarantee so if you’re not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it.
If you suffer from degenerative disc disease, slipped discs, sciatica, or scoliosis, the AidBrace Back Brace Support Belt is designed to relieve low back pain due to these conditions as well as others.
- It offers three different sizes (S/M – 26-36”, L/XL – 37-47”, and 2XL/3XL – 48-58”)
- It has a mesh backing that is breathable.
- You can remove the cushioned lumbar pad.
- It is small and compact.
- It is easy and comfortable to wear.
- You can adjust the side tension straps.
You can enjoy comfort and effective support that will alleviate low back pain using this support belt.
The AidBrace Back Brace Support Belt is designed to stretch when you are putting it on. If it does not stretch when you are putting it on, it is too small for you, according to the manufacturer.
One of the main reasons the ComfyMed CM-102M Premium Back Brace is so popular is because of its comfort factor.
- It is available in two sizes (Reg – 26.37” and Lge – 38-50” belly)
- It is built to be durable to last.
- It has a removable lumbar padding.
- You get a 12-month warranty.
- It has easy-grip handles to make adjusting the brace.
This back brace is designed to relieve pain that is caused by degenerative disc disease, sprains and strains, slipped discs, scoliosis, muscle spasms, sciatica, and nerve injuries. You can wear it during most daily activities without restricting your natural movement.
The 12-month warranty allows you to send back the ComfyMed CM-102M Premium Back Brace if you don’t like it or if something goes awry with the brace.
The TORS-GROUP Comfort Posture Corrector is a full back brace that is ideal for correcting problems with posture.
- It comes in four different sizes (XS, S, XL, and XXL).
- It has a comfortable 100% cotton liner.
- It is easy to put on and take off by yourself.
- It has adjustable shoulder and waist straps.
- Its ergonomic design is ideal for correcting posture and scoliosis.
This posture correcting back brace is suitable for adults and children. It is also medically approved for winged scapula, lordosis, kyphosis, and kyphoscoliosis. It is used for corrective rehabilitation post injury and surgery.
The recommendation for using the TOROS-GROUP Comfort Posture Corrector is to use it three to four hours per day, by gradually working your way up through 15-20 minute sessions of wearing it. Your back and shoulders will need to acclimate to wearing this and correcting the posture.
Adjustable suspenders and a front Velcro closure are two features that make the Trademark Supplies Back Brace Lumbar Support brace appealing.
- It comes in 10 different sizes (S – 26-30”, M – 30-34”, L – 34-38”, XL – 38-42”, XXL – 42-46”, 4XL – 50-54”, 5XL – 54-58”, 6XL – 58-62”, 7XL – 62-66”, and 8XL – 66-70”)
- It is easy to tighten, remove, and wear since it has a Velcro closure.
- It has four rubber gripper strips to maintain brace stability.
- The back area is made from breathable spandex.
If you work in a job where you perform a lot of heavy lifting, the Trademark Supplies Back Brace Lumbar Support brace is an ideal solution to help prevent injuries.
The Holisouse Stabilizing Lower Back Brace is perfect for lumbar support and for back pain relief.
- It is available in three sizes (S, M., and L)
- It is constructed of polyester mesh to be breathable.
- It is comfortable and soft for wear.
- It provides strong support.
- It has three advanced memory alloys that reduce stress on your waist.
- Dual adjustment straps help to customize your fit.
This back brace has several positive reviews and is an affordable solution to reduce low back pain.
If you need a back brace you can wear for all your activities including work, this Holisouse Stabilizing Lower Back Brace is compact, lightweight, and ideal for effective back support.
Why You Might Need a Back Brace
If you have postural problems or back pain that adversely affects your quality of life, it is advisable to use a back brace. If you want to prevent back pain and postural problems, a back brace is a great preventative measure. Back braces are designed to keep your spine properly aligned.
The Four Types of Back Braces
Before you choose a back brace for your needs, it is recommended that you consult with your doctor or related medical professional.
Once you know more about your needs for a back brace, you may choose from one of the four essential types.
1) Corset Brace
The corset brace is designed to promote good posture around the lower and middle back. This type of brace is often used for people with a spinal fusion to help restrict motion that could cause problems and to help with posture.
2) Rigid Brace
If you suffer from stability issues, the extra support that a rigid back brace provides will benefit you. These braces are ideal for after back surgery or injury to help retrain your muscles used for proper posture, which aids stability. Rigid back braces are not comfortable and are also heavy and bulky.
3) Occupational Brace
The occupational back brace is designed to prevent back injuries due to poor posture when you are lifting heavy things or performing strenuous activities.
4) Sacroiliac Belt
Stability around the hip area and the sacroiliac joint are reasons to use a sacroiliac belt. It helps stabilize the area of the lower back where the sacrum and pelvis meet. This brace aids with posture and relieves pain.
Final Thoughts on Back Braces
Choosing a back brace for your specific needs starts with consulting with your doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor, or another related medical professional to be sure you find one that meets your needs. It is wise to know as much as possible about back braces, so you can choose the perfect one for you.
Whether you need spinal support for heavy lifting, postural support, and correction, or back pain relief, a quality back brace or belt will work wonders for you. Your posture is crucial to your spinal health as well as your overall health and quality of life.
Making sure to get the right back brace is that important.