Sleeping on your stomach is one of the more unusual positions to be in. In fact, it’s also bad for you because it can put pressure on your shoulders and neck, increasing your chances of developing pain and discomfort.
However, if this is your favorite sleeping position, you’re not alone – a lot of adults still choose to sleep this way. If you do, it’s vital that you choose the right pillow and mattress so that you can have a comfortable night’s sleep that’s pain-free.
Because most pillows are primarily designed for those of us who like to sleep on our sides or back, it can be hard finding a pillow to suit you if you’re a stomach sleeper. There are many factors to consider including the filling material and how quickly the cover can circulate air.
Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
This guide will take a look at the top pillows for stomach sleepers and why they’re so beneficial for your particular sleeping position.
1. Coop Home Goods Eden
A pillow that comes with an adjustable loft is an excellent choice for those of you who like to sleep on your stomach. This means that you can adjust the thickness of the pillow to suit how you want to sleep. If you’ve already got pressure points, then this is great for increasing or decreasing the thickness so that you can eliminate this discomfort.
One thing we love about this pillow is that the inside is made from memory foam gel that’s been shredded. The outer cover is made out of a bamboo rayon mixture, which allows for great airflow.
- Medium Soft Firmness
- 100 Day Trial
- Five-year warranty
- Loft is Adjustable
- Great at retaining shape
While most memory foam shredded pillows struggle to stay in shape over time, the Coop Home Goods Eden edition is an exception. In fact, most people who use this pillow can spend three years with it before they need to replace it, which is an excellent lifespan. Because this pillow features a removable inner liner, it’s also easy to machine wash it too.
2. Snuggle Pedic Pillow
The next pillow on our list for stomach sleepers is the Snuggle Pedic pillow by Relief-Mart. You’ll get a medium level of firmness out of this pillow, which makes it ideal if you like to sleep on your stomach. It’s also great if you weigh less than 230 pounds because you want something that’s going to support your head and neck while you’re sleeping adequately.
Another key feature of the Snuggle Pedic pillow is its temperature neutrality. Because it’s got excellent air circulation, it only takes on a small amount of body heat which means that it easily keeps you cool all night long.
- Medium level of firmness
- 120-day trial
- Twenty-year warranty
- Loft is adjustable through Relief-Mart
- Great air circulation and pressure relieving comfort
While the loft is adjustable on this pillow, because the opening is sealed, it’s advised that you send your pillow to Relief-Mart when you need it adjusted. Relief Mart offers free shipping on this, as well as unlimited adjustments.
3. Tempur Pedic Symphony Pillow
The next pillow on our list has an innovative design. It is a solid memory foam pillow that can be flipped, depending on your personal comfort needs. One side of the pillow offers an even, flat surface that is great if you want to be close to the mattress, while the other side comes with an arch that provides a high level of neck and head support.
While the pillow itself is five inches thick, the soft surface will hug your neck tight at night so that it stays aligned with your spine.
- Soft level of firmness
- Five-year warranty
- Has a medium loft level
- Can be used on both sides with a flat and curved surface
- Has an excellent level of durability, as well as retention
If you know anything about the Tempur Pedic Symphony pillow, you’ll know that it’s durable. It can keep its shape very well and is capable of lasting up to three years, which in pillow years is great. It’s also easily malleable, which is a great option if you like to keep your pillow close and snuggle with it.
4. Classic Brands Firm Latex Embrace Pillow
People who fall into a heavier weight category are more likely to experience discomfort and pain while they sleep. Sleeping on your stomach can exacerbate this issue. The Classic Brands Latex pillow offers a firm surface that won’t deflate while you’re sleeping, which helps to solve this problem.
The design is also great for cradling your head and neck while you sleep, taking the pressure off your joints.
- High level of firmness
- Three-year warranty
- High level of loft
- Great for sleepers who get hot at night
- Great at helping to relieve pressure and pain
The latex that this pillow is made out of breathes really well, which makes it a great option if you’re someone who struggles to keep cool at night. Additionally, this pillow is light and easy to move around, unlike many other latex products on the market.
5. Malouf Z Zone Latex Talalay Pillow
If you’re looking for the best pillow for pressure relief around your shoulders, neck, and head, you’ll want to take a closer look at the Malouf Z Zone Latex pillow. It is extremely well ventilated and comes with two, flexible options – soft or hard firmness. This means that it can accommodate for all different types of stomach sleepers.
Additionally, it also offers an increased level of neck and head support, meaning you don’t have to sleep in discomfort anymore.
- Both Soft and Firm firmness options available
- Five-year warranty
- Many different loft options available
- Extra neck and head support
- Breathes exceptionally well while you sleep
The solid piece of latex that this pillow is made from breathes easy. The outer layer is a mixture of bamboo and rayon, which is another reason why it circulates the air so well. Plus, this pillow’s lifespan is considered to be longer than the average one.
Things to Know About Stomach Sleeping
Stomach sleeping is one of the least popular sleeping positions among adults. As a general rule, most healthcare professionals will steer away from recommending this as a good sleeping position, because of what it can do to your body. However, there are a couple of advantages:
- Less Snoring: if you sleep on your stomach you’re not as likely to be a snorer than those you sleep on their backs. This is because your throat muscles are more relaxed when you’re sleeping on your back, which causes the air to catch and a snore to develop.
- Less Wrinkles: If you sleep on your side you’re much more likely to develop wrinkles faster than if you sleep on your stomach. This is because resting your head against the pillow on your side will result in lines developing.
Now that you know the advantages of sleeping on your stomach, let’s take a look at a few of the disadvantages:
- Strain on Your Spine: there’s a good chance that you carry a lot of your weight in your stomach. This means that when you sleep on your back, this weight is taken off and gives your body a break from the pressure. However, if you sleep on your stomach, you can actually do the opposite and pull the weight down into your spine, causing discomfort and pain.
- The potential for Neck Pain: if you sleep on your stomach, there’s a good chance that you turn your head to one side so that it’s not in the pillow. However, this can cause a good amount of neck discomfort and strain, especially if you’re sleeping in this position night after night.
- Not Comfortable if You’re Pregnant: while sleeping on your stomach while you’re pregnant will not harm the baby, it can be quite uncomfortable and potentially cause unnecessary back pain.
While you may be in the habit of sleeping on your stomach, you can change positions to help to relieve any discomfort or pressure you may be experiencing.
However, if you’re not willing to change positions and end up on your stomach night after night, then it’s essential to have the right pillow and mattress.
Choose from any of our top pillows for stomach sleepers and enjoy a much more comfortable nights’ sleep.
Latest posts by Anne Keiley (see all)
- Best Turmeric Supplements (Curcumin for Back, Neck & Joint Pain) - March 12, 2019
- Can Chronic Nerve Pain Cause Changes in Your Skin? - March 4, 2019
- Best Infrared Light Therapy Home Devices & Lamps (Reviews) - March 3, 2019